Tuesday 5 May 2015

Day Three Jacket Details

I started the day with making up a fitted and gathered sleeve for the jacket. I took a basic sleeve pattern, checked it fit my pattern after I widened the pattern sync. I then split the pattern to tightened the bottom of the sleeve and curved it in inwards so that its more shaped. I extended the top of the head  but 5cm at each section and reshaped the head accordingly. It turned out very well when I inserted it into the arm hole. It's lightly gather which is very nice. I've decided to go with my piping insert for the cuff detail instead of the button cuff detail like from the original jacket. I need to extend the front of the jacket by at least 2 inches so that I can attach buttons or poppers.

I tried a range of pockets shapes and types. I tried a new pocket called a smile pocket used on 17th and 18th century jackets. I will not be using it for this project but it is a wonderfully simple but lovely pocket style.

The details I did decide to use however were a patch pocket with a flap with pipped edging. This pipping detail will continue to the cuff edging with curled detail and to the back with a placket which will have pipped edges and buttons. I have decided to have a lapel with a roll collar so that I can have one or the other. I may also try a hood tomorrow just to make my mind up completely. So tomorrow I should have all the details of the jacket decided, cuff and collar. I will also have adjusted all of my patterns so that I can start to make the jacket from Thursday onwards. I will make up a cutting list and decide of my fabric on Thursday before going to buy it. I think I am going to go for a teal tartan high light fabric for the pocket, cuff and placket maybe or a panel. The main fabric will be grey and the lining will be purple. The pipping will be black or grey.


















No comments:

Post a Comment