Tuesday 9 December 2014

New Start to a New Panto

30/09/2014-3/09/2014
In-Built Gusset:- http://overflowingstash.wordpress.com/2014/07/07/fitted-sleeve-sloper-part-2-built-in-gusset/
There was so many thinks to consider today. This year I was full set on doing a dama costume but instead I went for a chore costume as it was more complicated and didn't have elements of things I'd already done. This year was a lot of tutus and things simpler to last year's tutu. I'm basing the jacket on a chauffeur jacket from 1920 with double breasted buttons. My victim for this costume is Lorn Mac Donald. I'm excited to make the hat and neck ruffles as it's something I've never done before and the jacket can be made in so many different ways depending on the fabric as I know they have to be able to move a lot as the theme is circus/comedian d' arte.



I might be considering making two of the same costume for Daniel and Lorn so that more of the chore members are covered as there aren't enough designs for all the chore which is 13 this year. I started to adapt the jacket which was a lot more challenging than I expected because I needed to reduce the size by 6 inches without distorting the pattern which is a lot harder than it sounds. I've found that talking things out with tutors to be very helpful as it helps me get my head around what I'm doing but also allows me to see where I'm going wrong. I didn't know that taking a large measurement out of the back is one of the easiest options to do. I've also realised how quickly you have to think of quick changes so that you can construct the fastenings to fit the needs best. I've also decided to put a normal gusset in to start with so that during the fitting we can decide what size we need the gusset to be before we implant it into the jacket pattern. Also having a jacket that's simpler to the jacket pattern is helpful so that you can see how its structured and put together.




















































Thanks to having the pattern the jacket is coming together very quickly as are the breeches which only need tweaked here and there to fit him. The two collars didn't take much effort either though we'll see how they look in the fitting which I plan to make on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment